Painting the bikeshed
Or, a list of names for prgmr.com physical servers.
12 labors of Hercules
Beginning with the quad-core Intel machines, we use the Twelve Labors of Hercules.
- lion - console from boar High priority to renumber out of (8gib ram. ancient garbage. space heater)
- hydra - hydra and older need partitions rather than lvextend for additional disk space. low priority to get off (okay, generally)
- hind - decommissioned
- boar - decommissioned and moved to test.
- stables - medium priority to get off (two disks but not broken)
- birds - same as stables (get off both at once, 2 in 1u)
- bull - - high priority to get off it (two disks)
- mares - decommissioned
- girdle - high priority to get off it (do with cattle) - 2 disks, also we will save money by decommissioning it.)
- cattle - high priority to get off it (do with girdle)
- apples - done, decommissioned
- cerberus - did we decomm this already?
- council - high priority (two disks)
(Bonus quest from The Onion).
Kaguya's Impossible Requests
Post-Hercules, we're using Kaguya's impossible requests.
That night, Taketori no Okina told the five princes what each of them must bring. The first was told to bring her the stone begging bowl of the Buddha from India. The second was told to retrieve a jewelled branch from the island of Penglai. The third was told to seek the legendary robe of the fire-rat of China. The fourth must retrieve a colored jewel from a dragon's neck. The final prince was told to find the seashell treasure of the swallows.
- bowl dual quad core amd 2378, 4 disks, striped mirror - high priority... old garbage that causes me problems.
- branch dual quad core amd 2374 HE (four disks, striped mirror.) - high priority... old garbage that causes me problems.
- robe dual quad core amd 2378 w/ 32gib ram, 2 disks, - high priority...two disks
- jewel dual quad core E5504 - 4 disks, striped mirror, funny config- get users off of this. - highest priority... funny config /and/ nice hardware to reuse.
- seashell - high priority- two disks.
Thirteen Treasures of the Island of Britain
Having run through Kaguya, we're moving on to the Thirteen Treasures of the Island of Britain.
- sword - high priority, two disks
- hamper - med/low priority; four disks and generally okay, but oversized 3u chassis.
- horn - high priority; two disks
- chariot - highest priority; two disks - the other side of this 2 in 1u (which was what?) is dead and in a jbodo server. - gone?
- halter - med/high priority; four disks but in old stripe of mirrors config
- knife - med/high priority; four disks but in old stripe of mirrors config
- cauldron - high priority; two disks - now in a 96gb 8 bay supermicro
- whetstone - med/high priority; four disks but in old stripe of mirrors config
- coat - med/high priority; four disks but in old stripe of mirrors config
- crock - highest priority; - causing problems.
- dish - missing many domu kernel mod
- chessboard - dual 8 core opteron w/ 64g ram. med/high priority; good density, few problems, but generally "funny" config and the sideband thing is plugged in backwards so instead of green activity lights, we get red failure lights.
- mantle - 32GiB single-socket amd G34 okay server for now.
Note that we're coming perilously close to a collision -- I especially like the clothing ("girdle", "robe", "coat", and "mantle") and crockery ("bowl", "cauldron", "crock", "dish"). Weaponry, surprisingly enough, only shows up twice. The preponderance of animals, we may assume, is due to some predilection on the part of the Greeks.
Unless someone has a better idea, the Chinese provide the next list:
- pearl - 32GiB 8 core amd G34 system
- lozenges 1012G-mtf 8 core/32G ram system.
- chime 1012G-mtf 8 core/32G ram system. (<1024) - chime is dead. disks have moved to the chassis formerly known as chatsworth.
- horns - skipping. too much like 'horn'.
- coins - 1012G-mtf 8 core/32G ram system. (>1024)
Eight Principles of Yong
And the next:
- (horn skipped)
- beak ('bird' is too close to birds, and 'pecking' just sounds silly.)
Chief Justices of the Supreme Court
- jay (dual qpi xeon with 48gib ram) -- 2.6.18-308.8.2.el5xen
- rutledge (dual qpi xeon with 48gib ram) -- 2.6.18-308.8.2.el5xen
- ellsworth (dual qpi xeon with 48gib ram) -- what is the deal? unreachable
- marshall (dual qpi xeon with 48g ram) -- 2.6.18-308.8.2.el5xen
- taney (dual qpi xeon with 48g ram) -- 2.6.18-308.8.2.el5xen
- chase (dual qpi xeon with 48GiB ram) 2.6.18-308.8.2.el5xen
- waite (opteron 6128 with 32GiB ram)
- fuller (dual qpi xeon with 96GiB ram and 6x2tb disk)2.6.18-308.8.2.el5xen
- white (opteron 6128 with 32GiB ram)
- mckenna (c32 opteron (6 core) with 32GiB ram) eth0 18
- holmes (dual qpi xeon with 96GiB ram and 12x300gb disk- A side) ipmi port 1 eth0 16 2.6.18-308.4.1.el5xen
- taft (dual qpi xeon with 96GiB ram and 12x300gb disk- B side) ipmi port 4 eth0 8 2.6.18-308.4.1.el5xen
- (stone already used)
- hughes (dual qpi xeon with 144GiB ram and 8x2tb disk) eth0 is port 12 power b7
- black (dual xeon 56xx with 96GiB ram and 6x 2tb disks. svtix.)
- vinson (dual quad core socket F with 32GiB ram and 4 500gb disks)
- warren (6 core C32 opteron with 32GiB ram and 2x2tb disks)
- burger (dual quad core socket F with 32GiB ram and 4 500gb disks - tyan barebones chassis with LSI card)
- rehnquist (dual quad core socket F with 32GiB ram and 4 500gb disks; 3u supermicro with supermicro card- questionable.)
- stevens (brand new E3-1220L with 16GiB ram and 2 500gb disks; 1u supermicro. used chassis/fans and psu. funny cpu fan.
- roberts (E3-1220 (not L) with 16GiB ram and 2 500gb disks; 1u supermicro superserver. was going to be router. )
UN Secretaries General
- gladwynn 6 core c32 opteron, 6x300gb 10K 2.5" disks, 32GiB ram. in new MPT rack
- trygve 6 core c32 opteron, 6x300gb 10K 2.5" disks, 32GiB ram. in new MPT rack. network 13, power 10 serial 29
- dag 6 core c32 opteron, 6x300gb 10K 2.5" disks, 32GiB ram. in svtix 123.07 serial 31 net 21 power top unit in 123.07 outlet 14
- thant 8 core 2011 64gib ram 8 2.5" disk unused.
- javier refurbed dual quad core socket F opteron, 1u with 4x 500gb 7.2K disks
- boutros dual 2.0ghz xeon with 128g ram and 8 2000gb disks, 2u, in 124.09
- kofi stolen for boutros spare.
- ki-moon dual socket F opteron 32GiB ram, 124.09 serial 46 power unit B port 6 ethernet 15 - stolen for dedicated server
First Sea Lords
First Sea Lords of the Royal Navy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Sea_Lord . List is unproofed -- check against l'wikipedia before assigning names from it.
- fisher (skipped, already listed.)
- beatty - supermicro with 96gib ram and 8x450gb 15k sas drives -temporarily hosts cauldron
- madden - defunct, reused for bowl. hp dl160 in 05-13 bottom
- field - hp dl160 in 05-13top - setting up for egi2 vlan 71 xen.
- chatfield - vlan egi2 hp dl160 in 05-10 - now houses the disks formerly known as chime.
- backhouse - set up for internal use
- hyndhope - vlan egi1 - Production upgrade server hp dl160 in 05-13 bottom
- cunningham - hp dl160 on 05-12 top mgmt 05-13cisco-port31 - bottomport-05-12woven-port44 topport-05-12woven-port-37
- fraser - cisco 14
- mcgrigor - In production. vlan 33 hp dl160
- pound - setting up now, 05-13 cisco port 37 eth0 32 eth1 30
- mountbatten - bottom port 24 top port 26f
- lambe - set up for internal use 05-13 cisco port 35 eth0 36 eth1 38
- leake -dl160 in 0512 mgmt 14 eth1 20 eth0 22 - was john, srn wanted a rename
- luce - dl160 in 0512 management 12, eth1 16 eth0 18
- begg - slots 46-44 in 05-11. vlan 33. supermicro with 8 3.5" and two 2.5". Used to be bowl
- lefanu - slot 5 in 05-10. hpdl160p. used to be systemtest1
- hill-norton - 05-12 144gib ram/12 disk/ 2xl5640 cpus eth0 port 24, eth1 port 25 (both on 05-12woven)
- pollock - 05-12 144gib ram/12 disk/ 2xl5640 cpus eth0 32
- ashmore - 144gib ram/12 disk/ 2xl5640 cpus
- lewin - 144gib ram/12 disk/ 2xl5640 cpus - in 05-11 u26-u27 - ipmi 05-13cisco port 27 eth0 05-11woven port 38
ICAO Spelling Alphabet
Next, we will go for the ICAO spelling alphabet
- okubo 8GiB core2quad moved to test from production (was probably hind to begin with, was later dedicated server rashost2, and now is moved to test)
- chiron - a 256MIB vm that is the test-puppetmaster
- boar 8GiB core2quad moved to test from production
Ten Plagues of Egypt